My reason for including quick meals on this blog.
You just arrived from work. The kids are asking, “What’s for dinner mom/dad?” Good question!
All day long you have visualized a scene for your first draft and are dying to write it down. But, as the cook of the family(by choice or necessity) you are needed in the kitchen at the moment.
Cooking doesn’t just involve putting ingredients together.
As you, the tired writer know because of work, family responsibilities or both, shopping for ingredients at a packed grocery store can be a chore in itself. Nowadays there are many ingredients that can be found in a single jar.
Take spaghetti sauce for example: you can get bell peppers, tomato, garlic-all in one jar. Yes, you could buy one green bell pepper, one red pepper, one tomato etc. Blend them up in a blender and then slow cook your way to a proper spaghetti sauce. If you have the time and energy great, if you do not-get the jar and don’t look back.
- 1 lb of penne pasta (you can use wheat or a different shape pasta)
- 1 jar or can of your favorite spaghetti sauce (pizza sauce can substitute)
- 1 package of sliced pepperoni
- 2 Cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
I’m keeping it simple for those crazy evenings, but there are many ways to make this healthier:
- You can add spinach,chopped carrots or mushrooms to your spaghetti sauce.
- Use Turkey pepperoni or Canadian bacon
- Use a wheat pasta or vegetable pasta.
- Cook your pasta (al dente is healthiest and preferable to this dish since it’s going in the oven)
- Place drained pasta in to baking dish(9 x 13 inch dish)
- Pour your spaghetti sauce over the pasta. Mix it in with the pasta using a spoon/fork.
- Sprinkle cheese over the pasta and spaghetti sauce.
- Put a layer of pepperoni over the pasta,spaghetti sauce and cheese.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.